Making it Last
Recently I read a post on Instagram and a young lady mentioned how many are concerned with getting married and helping young women get married yet not many are helping women with staying married.
She made me think about the different blogs and articles I've read over the years and honestly she's right. Entirely too many are telling women what they need to do in order to get their man to get married yet where is the accurate, spiritual advice on how to stay married, on how to keep your marriage alive, on pleasing our husbands.
So I decided to take what I've learned in the 3 1/2 years I've been married and put it out there along with advice from those who have been married much longer than I have.
Things I have learned in my marriage:
- GOD needs to be the foundation of your marriage. HE needs to be actively involved in your marriage.
- You will not always be right. Learn to take responsibility quickly when you are wrong.
- Learn your husband. Continue to learn about him. He will change and evolve...so will his likes & dislikes.
- Accept change. I promise change will come and it will not always be to your liking.
- Accept your husband's leadership. Step back and give him the room to lead you & your family.
- Marriage is not about you...it is not to glorify you. Marriage is ultimately about GOD.
- Submit. Submit. Submit. It is not easy but it is worth it.
These are a few nuggets. Do I have them all mastered?? No. Are you expected to master them all? No. Why? Because we are human, we make mistakes. The point is to take responsibility and learn from them.
So what is your advice on staying married??
~Look forward to hearing from you.