Thursday, December 19, 2019

NLT Illustrated Study Bible

So, after a while, we have a new study bible to review and my, my is it a beauty.
IT is the Blush Rose Linen NLT Illustrated Study Bible.

 Gorgeous Right?

It comes encased in a hard sleeve, which I've kept for storage purposes as I've learned cloth exterior bibles get dirty easy. One thing I noticed upfront was the blush rose bookmark ribbon, a very nice addition to this bible. I also noticed that it is slightly thicker than my NASB Life Application Study Bible. I want to attribute the thickness to the near verse by verse footnotes and many articles found throughout the bible. 

This short article on Greece and the Greeks show their impact on the world and therefore the culture of Israel (which was under Roman rule) at the time of Jesus' birth.

I also noticed that with Nebuchadnezzar's person background there's a running list of places in Scripture that make mention of him.

This article helps to understand the visions/dreams in the book of Daniel and their relation to each other as well as who they referred to in history. Something that always interested me is that the feet of the statue (iron mixed with clay) is rarely spoken of or given as much attention as the upper parts.

I have noticed that major players or authors of books get the full page character background page like Daniel and John do.

And as you can see these are all heavily illustrated and actually quite beautiful, even if somewhat inaccurate as to the racial appearance of the people of the Bible. They are still given white-washed appearances as if they are ignoring that Israel is in the Middle East and ancient Israelites are not as white-washed as today's Israelites and therefore should look Middle Eastern. 

I do appreciate the use of maps throughout the bible and not just in the appendix at the back like they are put right there in with scripture so you have that visual while reading. And that is invaluable.

This map is found in the book of Daniel and shows the Persian Empire at the time as well as the stretch of the Royal Persian Road which connected much of the kingdom. 

Then there are these short topical studies found throughout the bible that has cross-references to back up the study, which can be quite nice to read and study further as you may come across it while reading. 
As you can see this one is about justice and the God who gives justice. Throughout the short article, it gives scriptural references. Then in the column to the left, there are more scriptural references to read for further study.



I have to admit this is one of the best study bibles I have come across since my Life Application bibles. Don't get me wrong I like the CSB Study Bible for Women but its a bit narrow in its concept and does not have the same amount of articles and footnotes. I would highly recommend this Bible (it does come in other colors) to anyone looking for a good study bible. 


Big Thank you to Tyndale Publishers for creating this beautiful well put together bible and allowing me to review it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your feedback. Your testimony, comment or suggestion could always help the next person. LOVE.

Discovering God through the Arts

  Many of us are aware of classic artwork and cultural arts but rarely do we fully bridge the gap between these disciplines. The author cont...