Thursday, February 16, 2012

Revisiting Submission

I decided to revisit the topic of submission. I chose to revisit this topic because when most people especially women address this topic to their followers/friends on facebook they don't go beyond the surface.

Yes you inform women that it is in our wifely duties to be submissive. However most women are not raised with the awareness that this is the way of marital bliss. So you need to introduce this topic and also introduce everyone else in the family's duties. 
So the wife is to submit, 'Wives submit to your husbands as to the Lord' (Eph 5:22). 
Now we read further that the husband has more: 'Husbands, love your wives just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her.' (Eph 5:25).
Paul goes further on to say Husbands are to love their wives as they love themselves (5:28).

When you give this set of scripture, not separate from each other to the woman to read, you give her hope and reason to want to submit to her husband. Because not only is this right in God's sight, this is beneficial to her. Women who are truly loved by their husbands will have no problem submitting to their husband. They will know he is worthy of their submission.

Submission is an attitude. It's how you approach every situation in your life. When you are in situations do you take into account your husband and his views. When you make decisions are they made by you yourself, or you & your husband together. Are you willing to defer to his judgment and trust that he will make the best decision for your family?

The generation I am apart of did not grow up with the teaching of being a wife. Many of were not even taught how to take care of our homes, let alone take care of our husbands and children. So when you want to teach our generation something, and you want us to take it to heart you have to break it down to us. You need to give us the scriptural backing and let us know that it is NOT one-sided. That we will not give our all, and be left hanging.

I, thankfully, had a mom who ensured that I could take care of my home and that I could be an effective mother. However I didn't quite learn how to be a wife, I got on the job training. And I've made quite a few mistakes, that I'm still learning from, some I still suffer repercussions from. And this is to show that no one is perfect. Some people just might have being a wife down pact before they even become one. Others had to learn and had the will to learn after becoming a wife. It doesn't make us any less, it just gives us a little more experience to explain from. I've bumped my head in my wifely duties so many times, I used to wonder why was I still married. However my husband said, I can't expect you to be the perfect wife and you were never taught how to be a wife. So he's still here, helping me learn along the way and being patient with me.

Marriage is something you learn as you grow. You can learn as much as possible beforehand. However a lot of it is on the job training. It's learning your spouse, their likes and dislikes. It's the staying when they need your patience. It's the forgiving and forgetting every transgression. It's the loving each other every day like its your last.

Kris

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your feedback. Your testimony, comment or suggestion could always help the next person. LOVE.

Discovering God through the Arts

  Many of us are aware of classic artwork and cultural arts but rarely do we fully bridge the gap between these disciplines. The author cont...