Monday, January 20, 2014

Is it necessary?

Today I was on twitter and I was going back and forth with a follower on topic.
Then I got convicted deep in my spirit.

The conversation I was having was unnecessary. It was not building me or the other person up. All we were doing was giving our opinion on a situation. However I realized my opinion is not always necessary or warranted. Even if I see a post that asks for advice or asks for the opinions of others, I don't need to give mine.

Then I got even more convicted when the person assumed they knew me. They assumed that because they could read my TL, read my commentary on a few things that they knew me. That they knew my faith, that they knew my walk. And I had to step back.

What impression do I give of myself for a person to think they really know me via social media? Yes I speak on my faith but that's me. Any topic thrown at me will have my faith sprinkled all over my response.
Do I give the impression of perfection? *gulps* I surely hope not because I'm so far from perfect its not even funny. I have many issues. Just because they are not on broadcast, which some are, doesn't mean they don't exist.

Something I realized today. People will assume. It's in our nature as humans to assume we know. It hurts us though because many times our assumptions are wrong. In this case, I mean every conversation that does not bring God glory, that does not edify or educate a person is many times unnecessary. I think many times we will have these conversations. What does foolish talk do for me? Nothing.

Stay away from foolish, useless talk, because that will lead people further away from God. (2 Timothy 2:16)
Stay away from foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they grow into quarrels. (2 Timothy 2:23)


Some conversations need to be had to educate people. Whether they want to heed/yield or believe is on them. But the fact that I shared is what's important. You can lead a camel to the water, you cannot make them drink.

The Lord's servant must gently teach those who disagree. Then maybe God will let them change their minds so they can accept the truth. (2 Timothy 2:25).

 Many times I will comment on topics because much of what is acceptable to society is not acceptable to God. And should not acceptable to His people. So that is why I speak up. Because the behavior is unacceptable. If a person is doing wrong but they don't know what they're doing is wrong. They will continue to do it because they don't know any better. You have to give people the option to know better and do better OR know better and don't care to do better.

So my goal is this: really evaluate a topic before I decide to comment. Is it worth my time? Am I educating or edifying a person? If so take the time. If not forget it and move on.

~Kris

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your feedback. Your testimony, comment or suggestion could always help the next person. LOVE.

Discovering God through the Arts

  Many of us are aware of classic artwork and cultural arts but rarely do we fully bridge the gap between these disciplines. The author cont...