Thursday, December 6, 2012

The meaning of Christmas...

So this morning I decided to explain why we celebrate Christmas to our five year old (the one year old sat and listened but I don't think he understood, LOL).

I did this because Kaylee, our five year old, seems to think that Christmas is all about getting gifts and playing. I know, I know typical reaction for a five year old. However I wanted her to know the real reason behind Christmas.

Christmas...seems to say Christ mas or in Spanish: Christ more.

In my opinion, Christmas is the celebration of Jesus Christ's birth. When he was born, wise men came from far away just to give thanks for Him and to give Him gifts. I believe this is why on Christmas we get together with family and friends to give thanks for the Lord and to give each other gifts. 

We are not to worry about receiving gifts. Because its not about receiving. Christ does not worry about what we can do for Him but what we do for others and what He does for us. So on Christmas we give and be thankful that we even have the extra to give.

This is what I explained to my daughter. Christmas is not about her or her brother or about them getting gifts. Christmas is about Jesus and before anyone opens a gift we will give thanks for Jesus and read about Jesus. THEN they will open the gifts that are given to them, like gifts were given to baby Jesus.

Personally I recommend that all parents break down the meaning of Christmas. Don't just give gifts and have kids thinking that's all Christmas is about because it isn't (that's actually a very shallow and dense way of viewing Christmas). Remind them to be thankful and humble that anyone even thinks of them. And that it is NOT a requirement to receive gifts on Christmas, it is a privilege.


~Love to you all
Kris Bush



^^
The perfect depiction of Christmas.



If you enjoy my blog please do follow either through Google Connect or Email! Thanks!
Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your feedback. Your testimony, comment or suggestion could always help the next person. LOVE.

Discovering God through the Arts

  Many of us are aware of classic artwork and cultural arts but rarely do we fully bridge the gap between these disciplines. The author cont...